What causes Oily Skin?
Oil is produced by Sebaceous glands which can often over reactive, resulting in excess oil (also known as sebum) on the skin’s surface. If you find your skin becomes very shiny and feels oily within a few hours of cleansing, you most likely have oily skin (like me – Join the club!). Oily skin is most common in people going through puberty – it can calm down afterwards, however it can sometimes carry on through adulthood.
Pro’s & Con’s
The advantages of oily skin is that you are age better than people with dry skin as you are less likely to develop as many wrinkles as fast because of the oil. Also, you have a naturally dewy glow which people with dry skin often desire.
On the other hand, your face often looks oily which isn’t necessarily a wanted look. Also, people with oily skin are more likely to suffer with acne.
How to control your oily skin
- Use a gentle cleanser – If you use a cleanser that is too rough on your skin, thinking that you need to scrub off all of the oil, then you will irritate your skin. This irritation will cause oil production to increase. Make sure you gently cleanse your: face, neck and chest as these are the places that are most likely to get oily and is often where spots arise. Also, shower regularly to cleanse the skin; but don’t make the shower too hot so that it makes your skin red as this could dry your skin out and cause irritation.
- Moisturise! Moisturise! Moisturise! You may be wondering why on earth I am telling to put moisturiser on your already oily skin, and I used to wonder the same. However, if you don’t moisturise your skin regularly then your Sebaceous glands (the ones that produce the oil) will get all freaked out and over compensate for your dried out skin. This means even MORE oil will be produced. So, instead use a light, oil free, non-comedogenic (meaning it doesn’t clog up your pores) moisturiser day and night and your skin will thank you for it.
- Remove makeup ASAP!!! I can’t stress how important this one is! Makeup can clog up your pores resulting in more spots. You should remove your makeup using your gentle cleanser as soon as you get in if you aren’t planning on going out – but at least before you go to sleep because you don’t want all that dirt sitting on your skin. Removing your makeup allows the skin to breathe as well of removing the excess oil you have accumulated throughout the day.
- Use light makeup products: It is better for your skin if you don’t wear makeup, but if you would like to wear makeup then try and stick to light formulas. Powders are advised for people with oily skin but If you prefer to use liquid products then make sure they are: oil free and non-comedogenic. If you want to try and control the level of shine throughout the day, use a matte foundation and set it with a thin layer of translucent powder to set it.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week – you don’t want to exfoliate every day as this can cause irritation and as we now know: irritation can cause more oil. But exfoliating weekly is important as it removes dead skin cells, helps even out skin tone and creates a smooth base for your skin care and makeup products.
- Blot the shine away! This is my top tip! I love blotting papers sooo much as they are really affordable and are a life saviour throughout the day when your face is looking super shiny. All you have to do it gently pat one of the tissues over your face and it absorbs all of the excess oil – therefore getting rid of the unwanted shine whilst keeping makeup in tact – viola! Life hack: If you don’t have any blotting papers whilst you are out you can just use a tissue or a paper towel instead.
A few Fab Ingredients to look out for:
There are more ingredients that these that are helpful at tackling oily skin. Just google any of these if you want to learn about what they do and how they work.
- Salicylic Acid
- Glycolic Acid
- Hyaluronic Acid
HOPE THIS POST HELPED YOU! 🙂
I WILL BE UPLOADING A POST SOON WITH A RANGE OF: FACE MASKS, CLEANSERS, MOISTURISERS, MAKEUP PROODUCTS ETC. THAT ARE SUITABLE FOR OILY SKIN SO MAKE SURE YOU CLICK THE FOLLOW BUTTON TO RECIEVE A NOTIFICATION WHEN I UPLOAD IT.